Back to Resources

Equine Medicine – reliable sites:

Health Certificates

A Health Certificate is also called a Certificate of Veterinary Inspection (CVI).  If your horse is crossing state lines, it is legally required to have this certificate.  The goal of the CVI is to decrease the transmission of contagious diseases and to help epidemiologists identify at-risk populations if a disease outbreak takes place.  In order to issue a health certificate, your veterinarian must examine your animal and verify that the horse has a current negative Coggins test.  Generally, a CVI is valid for 30 days.  Each state has specific requirements for horses entering their states, so please consult the linked site in advance of your trip.

Please note, health certificates are required for horses traveling to Canada or Europe.  Please call our office several weeks in advance if you are planning on traveling internationally so we can get this lengthy process underway.


Global Vet Link – Print out your Coggins Tests & Health Certificates


Veterinary Organizations:


International Veterinary Chiropractic Association (IVCA)

United States Equestrian Federation (USEF)


Referral Services:


National & Local Horse Resources:

search previous next tag category expand menu location phone mail time cart zoom edit close